Sunday, June 13, 2010

The "M" Word


An enormous thanks to Greg (aka Paul) for helping us move all our heavy stuff. We owe you, dude, big time.

So it's been a little while since I wrote a real blog. Things got a little busy during the move to the new apartment. Things got a little stressful. Tempers ran high and I dare say I got more than a little.... Irish. If anyone is wondering why I haven't written about the move, well..... you know how the mind will repress any traumatic and awful memories? Well, that's exactly what mine is doing. Burying it deep and forever forgetting the horrible, awful, very bad move. We had better like it here- wait, scratch that- LOVE it here, because we are never moving. Ever. You will find me here to the end of my days. And if, and that's a BIG if, I ever become insane enough to move again, you can bet your ass I will be hiring movers to do everything. Packing, lifting, carrying, driving, lifting some more, and hell, they can even decorate the place if they want to. I don't care what it costs, it will be worth it. They can say it costs a million dollars and that the contract requires me to kill an endangered animal and destroy some rain forest. Ok, where do I sign? Sounds fair to me. With a toddler, busy schedules, and the three of us being sick almost the entire time, the actual move took about a month of packing, of driving car load upon car load back and forth, emptying boxes so that they could be filled again, cleaning,etc. That is all I will say about our move, it's just too painful to talk about. Now onward, so my mind can finish it's repressing.

Now some good news: now that we are unpacked and (mostly) settled in, we are loving it here. I love the neighborhood. Sadie and I are frequent park goers around here, one of them being an especially nice, large playground. We have found out that we are a 15 minute walk to a beautiful, small and family friendly beach. The food down the street at the upscale deli is absolutely delicious. (We lived off of it because no cooking was done here for a long time.) We also found out that one of the parks nearby has places to bbq and every week in the summer hosts little league games and free concerts. We even live in walking distance to a farm! So I guess all the work it took to get here was worth it. Oh, and we have LOTS of hot water now. JOY! I scald myself every day in the shower just because I can.

The infamous Monkey Bread. It actually still came out pretty good.

Oh, and my first real cooking experience with the new place? A heart-stopping experience. I want to preface with: I have little to no experience with a gas stove. I wanted to make us yummy Monkey Bread for breakfast on one of our first weekends here, to celebrate finally being moved in and to test out our oven. I followed the directions, put the dough in the bundt pan and used plenty of butter and sugar. Popped it in the oven. About 30 minutes into it, I see smoke coming from the oven. Hmmm, not good. Opened the oven, smoke billows out. Honestly, it billowed. I can see that the butter/sugar mixture has bubbled over and spilled down onto the bottom of the oven. Crap. So I take the pan out quickly and close the door and turn the oven off. That's when I hear a WHOOSH sound in the oven and in the little oven window I see fire. Not a little fire. The entire bottom of the oven is on fire. Immediate panic. Sadie is immediately elated at seeing real fire, running around yelling "Fire! Fire! Fire". I yell for John who looks just as panicked as I was, but luckily one of us can keep our head during moments like this (not me) and he put the fire out by pouring water on it. Big WHEW! Every window was open, trying to clear the smoke out. Interesting to note: the fire alarm never went off. Good to know that didn't work!! Maybe I was supposed to set fire to the oven to find that out! All ended ok, but now I'm ultra paranoid about the oven!

I am just going to leave you with a few photos of things we've been up to since we've m..... mo...... sorry, I can't even write it.

A visit to the farm down the street from us. It's only opened once a year to the public. Such a cool place.

Sadie and Ava, last day of music class, drumming together.

Tea party with Elmo!

First beach day of the year.

3 comments:

Crafty Mama said...

Moving sucks! I haven't done it with kids yet but the idea of doing it in another three years or so is enough to reduce me to tears right this minute!

I grew up with a gas stove and my apt in Norwood had one...I actually miss it! Also, I am not the cooler head that prevails in my house either, when something is on fire!

Glad you made it through the "unmentionable" event and you're settling in. hooray for parks and beaches! :)

Kelley said...

HAHAHA!! You are really funny, you know that? And I good little writer, too.

A reminder about the fire...if that has been a grease fire, you know NEVER to pour water on it, right? Have to smother it or pour baking soda on it, but never water, because it will *FLOOFF!* right in your face and that is bad. :-)

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

adventures in rhode island said...

yes, we couldn't remember if we could throw water on it! john did a small test before dousing it! baking soda on grease fire, got it!!