Saturday, March 27, 2010

Lenten Fridays


Our Lenten scallops. :)

The past couple of weeks I haven't done much creative cooking due to an annoying cold that just would not go away. I blame all the little people around me who like to cough, wipe their noses with their hands, then touch anything I come into contact with! Seriously though, when you have kids, don't you get sick a LOT?! In the past two years, I have had more colds than I have had in at least 5 years! Sadie will get the sniffles and be done with it. Me, I'm down and out for the count. Luckily I'm not pregnant or nursing, so I can dope myself up on cold meds to my hearts content, not like the first 14 months of having a kid, where I just had to suck it up. And whine a lot to John and my Mom. So, back to the title of the blog. Now that the endless cold is over, I feel like cooking again and I have been trying to take advantage of the "no meat on Friday" Lent rule and have interesting meals I have never cooked before. (Which I don't get why you can eat fish if you can't have meat.... but that's neither here nor there.) So yesterday I made an Ina Garten recipe (surprise, surprise) that has of course been in my recipe collection, never made, for years. It was Scallops Provencal with Herbed Basmati Rice. Yum, yum, yum! Besides the tedious chopping of all the herbs, the meal was really easy. And scallops cook in no time, so it was fairly quick to make too. I always thought I didn't like French food, but maybe I do. At least some of it. The sauce had white wine it in, and it gave me an opportunity to try a new wine as well. We had gotten this delicious bottle of wine from a friend (thanks, Ed and Allison!) and I have been looking all over for the brand- Snoqualmie- but haven't had much luck. So the local liquor store ordered me some, but he ordered the wrong kind, he got a naked organic chardonnay..... I bought it anyway, just to try. And it's delish! I love this wine, it doesn't give me a headache! And it's not expensive either, an added plus. So, hurray Lent! Thank you for breaking me out of my Friday night pizza routine!

Wine makes everything better. Even food.

3 comments:

Pan and the boys said...

Looks so good! Charlie made Ina's scallops provencal a couple of times. Last time was when Lukie was 9 months old. He refused to eat his baby food but he ate bread dipped in the sauce from the scallops. Mmm, now I want to have it again!

P.S. We should make something delicious together next time you come over! Let the men watch the kids, and clean up after we finish. ;)

adventures in rhode island said...

that sounds like a great idea!! especially the last part about not cleaning up!! :)

Kelley said...

Those scallops look awesome! I haven't eaten scallops in ages--time for some!