Sunday, October 11, 2009

It's been awhile...


Sadie in pigtails

Well, I guess its been nearly a year since writing on this blog. I really enjoy keeping up on other people's blogs and its made me want to start mine up again, if only to be an online journal of sorts and to keep in touch and update family and friends on the comings and goings of our little family. Most recently, my friend Karen (if you know me, you have undoubtedly heard many stories with that name in them.) got me reading this amazing blog (matt + maddie) that has captured my interest and has won my respect, with this father's account of life after the death of his wife and raising a baby by himself. Stuff like this really put things into perspective and make you thankful for what you have. I can't help but admire his strength, humor, and candidness of his writings. Check it out if you get a chance (see my links).

Noticing Elmo was at the Festival...

My little Sadie girl is 18 months old now, which is completely mind boggling. How did that happen? She is sweet, silly, smart, funny, spirited, spicy, loving and despite her parents two left feet, has some pretty sweet dance moves. She's going to be a strong, confident woman, who knows what she wants in life, that I know, since she already shows some of those traits already! She's pretty amazing, and not just because I'm biased! She's got an unlimited supply of hugs and kisses, especially for her kitties, which makes mommy and daddy nervous. To see her bending down, hugging Owen, bury her face in his fur, and you hear a big smack of a kiss, its adorable, but well, I am sure you have all heard Owen stories before and so I try to keep her at least at a slight distance! Owen and Bean however have been nothing but wonderful to her, and are soaking up the extra affection.

Petting the Fuzzy Shark

You've probably noticed the tape on her cheek. That's a feeding tube, and is what has kept us pretty busy since early spring. Long story short, Sadie had to get the tube because she refused to eat. She would nurse, but would not take solid foods. So she has had this since April and we have been in a hospital program specifically designed to get babies that refuse to eat, eating. She has come a long way and actually, right now, we are doing a test of cutting back on her tube feedings to see how much she will take orally. They will then pull the tube to see how she does on her own. Fingers crossed and many prayers said that she will be able to do this. We will still have a long way to go to get her to eat like a normal toddler, but this will be a start. I feel like I have dropped off the planet, in social terms anyways, since this has taken all of our time and energy. It was hard for me to talk about, so I didn't. It still is, but I am in a different place now. Now I feel like I'm ready to get back on the planet. We feel very grateful though that otherwise, Sadie is a healthy, happy toddler. But man, that kid likes to keep us on our toes. :)

Happy Fall!

Today we went "punkin" (yes, how Sadie says it) and apple picking. What an absolutely gorgeous day for it. Sunny and crisp outside. I think it just might be perfect apple crisp baking weather. With vanilla ice cream, of course. I always love going to this farm that is down the road from us. You can pick your own strawberries, raspberries, peaches, blackberries, apples..... you name it, they have it. Its so relaxing and fun to do, and the taste is out of this world. I got a mix of cortland, macintosh, macoun, and jona gold. Hopefully will make a good crisp. And we also got a couple pumpkins too, Sadie picked her own out. She even managed to carry it a little ways, but the weight of it made her off balance and she had a few falls! It was pretty comical actually, this little girl trying her best to carry this big, heavy pumpkin, for her size anyways!



Off to peel the apples.... the crappy part of making apple crisp.

3 comments:

asplashofsunshine said...

I love you guys! So wonderful to see the newest blog entry with Sadie's cute little face gracing my computer screen. Gosh, I love that girl!

Schmell said...

You are so awesome, Shannon. I love you with all my heart! Sooo happy you are sharing what has been going on with Sadie. (*sniff, tears in my eyes*) :-) You are an amazing mom!!!!!!!

Crafty Mama said...

What a cute hat on an even cuter pumpkin :)

Yes...the crappy part of apple crisp is indeed peeling the apples. If I wouldn't get laughed out of my own kitchen, I'd order that apple/potato peeler thingie on the informercials on TV. But....it's a unitasker and you know what THAT means, not A.B. approved! :)