Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chocolate for Breakfast



Warm chocolate scones with cinnamon butter!
Come visit us for breakfast!!

One of the things I'm trying to do this year is try new things (however small it may be) and get over some things I avoid or are reluctant to do. So let's start small. Time to get over my fear of dough! I have always steered away from recipes that have any type of dough to them. It seemed daunting and "cutting in butter" just was way too much work with that damn pastry blender. Or even worse, using two forks to cut it in. I was more of a cookie and bar type of girl. But over the past few months, I discovered the joys of the food processor and have witnessed its powers first hand. It really does rock. It takes all the work out of dough! At least the minor things I have tried. Pulse. Pulse. Pulse. There is your dough. That is more my speed. Last week I tried my first scone. Cinnamon Sugar Scones. Sounds delightful, doesn't it? Well, they were a complete dud. Very disappointing, especially considering I was making them for a morning play group with some mom friends. (On a side note, Stop and Shop saved the day with their scrumptious muffins!) So those went in the garbage. When you took a bite, you had to grab something to drink real quick to stop yourself from choking because you didn't have enough saliva in your mouth to work through that dry, crumbly mess. I tried a new recipe today, that I've had on my messy desk for a long time, that I'd ripped out of a Rachael Ray mag (from 2006!!). Double Chocolate Scones with Cinnamon Butter. Oh my oh my! Now THESE are scones for breakfast! With a cup of coffee, it's an awesome Sunday morning treat. I had John in mind when I made these because of his chocolate addiction, and it lived up to his high chocolate standards! Onward now, to more dough recipes! A whole new baking door has been opened to me!

On a different note, I just heard my friend, Ginny, had her baby boy today! Congrats to Ginny, Brian, and big brother Will!! Baby Sean Michael is such a cutie and already looks like his brother. Ever since having my own peanut, I recognize what an accomplishment labor and giving birth is, so rock on, Mama! You did amazing! Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Lastly, just a few pics that make me smile.

Sadie liking Mommy's new Target purse. Oh how I love Target.

See? My art degree paid off. Throw the box away! Nah!
Voila, an indoor sled!

Waking up from a nap, very happy! We like that!

1 comment:

Crafty Mama said...

Thanks for the well-wishes. :) I just have to upload my camera....

Scones are hard. Most of them are really dry and require some serious butter/jelly/something! Those Rachael Ray ones look delicious enough for me to reach thru the screen!