Friday, January 15, 2010

A Good Start To The Weekend

Today Sadie and I had our music class that just started up again. I have to say, and in hopes of not jinxing it, that this winter session is so, so, so much better than the fall session. I am not sure what changed, either it is because we are in an early morning class, or Sadie just changed (which is entirely possible, because don't they change ALL the time?), but for the first time in forever, Sadie did not cling to me, or cry, or scream when we went into the class! She always eventually warms up and enjoys herself, but in the fall, it was a good 15 minutes or so or clinging and crying. It was not pleasant. And I asked myself many times why I continued to go when I had begun dreading the class. I went though, because in the end, she DOES like it, and she needs as much socializing as possible. And so does Mommy. I wasn't going to sign her up again this session but the teacher of the class, who is absolutely wonderful and supportive, talked me into it. I'm so glad he did! She literally has done a complete opposite and it is awesome to see. Today before we left to go to class she kept saying she wanted Amelia and Skylar, her two friends. How sweet!! It was music to my ears actually, that she was looking forward to class and playing with her friends. She even WALKED into class on her own. Usually, she insists on being carried. So anyways, it's such a welcome relief to really enjoy this music class with her, both of us socializing, and it's a good feeling to look forward to this class, rather than dreading it!

Sadie and I have also been taking advantage of the local libraries around here. I never knew they had so many things for children her age. Newport library has 3 kid size houses in their children section, filled with books, puppets, and a kid-sized couch and chair. She LOVES it, plus she gets to play with other kids, and she gets to practice her "sharing" :) Which is getting better! She now will hand me toys and tell me "share" with a big smile. It's still hard of course to give a toy to someone else that she does not really want to share! We recently found another library that is fantastic, the Redwood Library, that has a whole room dedicated to kids. Tons of books, but also big bean bag chairs for them to lie on, lego's, stacking toys, puzzles, trains and a train track, etc. It rocks, and they don't come and shush you either, there! It's been so nice to find other forms of entertainment and play activities for us.

Looking forward to tomorrow, we are going to visit my friend, Beth, who had a baby girl late November. Can't wait to meet little Anya!

3 comments:

Crafty Mama said...

Libraries are pretty impressive these days with the things that they have for kids activities. It's too bad that around here in MA they're one of the first things to get cut when the budgets get tight. :( Glad you and Sadie are enjoying the music class!

asplashofsunshine said...

Check to see if they have story times at the libraries. I used to take the kids to story time every tuesday night, although they had them in the afternoons at other libraries too. GOOD FOR YOU with the music class. What a great mommy!

Kel said...

Wow, you have so many new blog entries!! I have to check in more frequently now. :-) I LOVE the new blog look, with the black and white photo of you you and Sadie in the snow, with those pops of color. Very cool.

Those scones look awesome! Cinnamon butter? Sign me up. :-) I'm LMAO over the comment that you went through yor "alcoholic phase" in college!!

Wonderful blog! I'll check back tomorrow...